So, since Spencer has joined the Army, we have spent more time apart than we have together. This is really a pretty common thing among Military families and some have had it even worse than we have. Can you even imagine?! Seriously, though, you'd think that, at this point, I would be used to it. I should have this "single parent" thing down, but I don't. We just found out a couple days ago that he'll get back from this trip on the 31 of this month and leave again on about the 17th of August. I keep reminding myself that this is way better than having him in Iraq, because it really is. Ft. Hood, Texas is a lot safer than Baquba. Unfortunately, it feels just as far away. However, on the bright side, he's only gone for 2-4 weeks at a time. Which is A LOT better than 15 months at a time. Also, it's nice that I can call him. That isn't something that can be done while he's deployed.
I know, too, that this is Heavenly Fathers way of helping me appreciate Spencer more. Maybe someday I'll be able to appreciate him from a closer proximity, but until then, I am becoming more and more thankful for all he does for our family. I also know that we've grown closer together and have become a stronger family through all of this. It's hard to see the big picture when you're in the middle of something hard, but I have been blessed with glimpses and am extremely thankful that I don't have to do it alone.
His time away has also given me some time with my family. This will be the last trip home for a while since Brigham will be starting school in a few weeks, so I'm extra thankful for this time. It has been nice to be with my sisters, to meet my new nephew, for the kids to play with a few of their cousins, and for my mom to teach me some new crafty stuff. (I'm sure I appreciate this more than she does, but she does it with a smile.) I'm so thankful for my family and surely miss being close by.
I guess that about does it for my pity party. Through it all, I'm so grateful for the support I have from family and, most importantly, from my Heavenly Father!!
No comments:
Post a Comment