Why is it that all the crazy stuff happens while Spencer is gone?! It seems that every time he leaves I end up with sick kids and a possible trip to the ER. These past few days have been no exception. Spencer, Jr. has been home sick the last couple days and it turns out that Isaac has an allergy to cashews. I knew he had a nut allergy, because most of my family has been witness to it, but I wasn't sure what nut he was allergic to, until now.
At about 2 yesterday we were driving back from a trip to Target and I bought some cashews because I was near starvation (aka pregnant). I was sharing with Audrey and Isaac. (Audrey got way more, because she's much more vocal about her food needs. At least while we're in the car.) I think Isaac had maybe four or five. So, we got home and I went and cleaned the bathroom. When I came out at about 2:30 (the bathroom was pretty messy!) Isaac's nose and lips were
Well, of course I did't have any Benedryl in the house, so I was trying to get Spencer and Audrey to understand that we needed to hurry and the only thing that finally worked was for me to tell them that Isaac's airway could swell, he wouldn't be able to breathe, and could possibly die. It probably wasn't the right thing to say, but they kicked it into high gear after that.
We got to the Commissary, bought the Benedryl, and Spencer suggested that we stop on a bench outside the door and give him some there. After I'd given him the medicine, which he honestly loved and was asking for more the rest of the night, we were walking back to the car and Spencer said, "I'm glad we made it. It would have been sad if we hadn't. People wo
We got home and he was getting much better, but at about 5:30 - 2 hours later, while I had dinner in the oven, he turned bright red EVERYWHERE! I called my mom to see what she would do, then called Spencer to get the number to the after hours clinic, and then called the PCM (Primary Care Manager) on call and they sent me to the ER in Sierra Vista.
We got in to see the Triage Nurse and as I was telling her what had happened she said, "Cashews probably arent' the best thing to give him." OH REALLY!?!? Then she said, "You shouldn't give nuts to toddlers because they can choke on them." Good to know, because I wasn't feeling bad enough at that point.
So, after all her advice, they got us back to a room, gave him more Benedryl, a shot of something, and a little while later a steroid. We left the hospital at about 9 with a prescription for a steroid and went to WalGreens to have it filled. We left at 9:20 with no prescription and they told me to be back at 10. Since we hadn't had dinner, we stopped at Carl's Jr. because it was accross the street and ate in the parking lot. I went back to WalGreens at 10 and finally left at 10:20. When I got home, all three kids were asleep, so I packed them all in the house and threw the rest of the cashews away!!
1 comment:
Those pics of Isaac in the throes of allergic reaction look a whole lot like my brother Tom.
Post a Comment