Thursday, October 2, 2008

That Dreaded Moment

I only have a minute, but I wanted to write this down so I can look back and laugh at it someday. (I hope!) Tuesday, I dropped Audrey off at preschool and went grocery shopping with Isaac, which by the way, was awesome. I don't know why I thought it was hard to shop with Spencer when he was a baby. Anyway, when I got out to my car, there was a message on my cell phone.
The man leaving the message explained that he is Spencer's school counselor and immediately I thought Spencer had been hurt badly. As I listened to the rest, though, my heart sank and I was fairly certain I would scream.
Now before I can go further in to this story, I must say that while we were camping last week, Spencer had found a pocket knife while dad Spencer was going through some of our camping gear. It was a small knife and young Spencer asked if he could have it. I said NO, just for the record, but Spencer, the dad, said he could have it when we got to the campsite and they would whittle sticks.
So, now back to my story. The school counselor let me know that Spencer had brought a pocket knife to school, which, in case I didn't know, is a serious thing. So, I called him back, but he wasn't at his desk. He called me back a little later and explained that Spencer had shown the knife to someone on the playground. I was mostly in shock and honestly have no idea what I said. I did ask if Spencer felt badly about it and he told me that he did. And then he told me that he personally wouldn't give his kindergartener a knife. (Oh, really?!) I asked him what he would like me to do and he told me the principal was at an administrators meeting and would take care of it when she got back. This may sound crazy and it could just be pregnant hormones, but I hung up and cried. I think it was partly embarrassment and partly that I felt bad for my Spencer that had no idea it would be a bad idea to take his cool pocket knife to school, that his DAD gave him. :)
The principal called me back at about 12:30 and told me Spencer was being suspended and asked if I could come pick him up from school. She said it was just a half day suspension because she felt he had learned his lesson and would never do it again.
When I picked Spencer up, he just cried. He said his stomach hurt, which I'm sure it did. Mine would hurt, too, if I had to spend a couple hours in the principals office. Anyway, Spencer, the dad, talked to him about it and all is well, but it was an overwhelming exerience and hopefully the last time Spencer gets sent to the principal's office.

3 comments:

Christy said...

That almost made me cry. I felt so badly for Brigham, oops, I mean Spencer. He's such a good kid with a gentle heart. That was probably rough for you, too, mom!

Dre and Sean said...

Poor B, I mean S. And poor you, Jaim. You should have asked the principal, "What's the big deal? Isn't this a MILITARY school?" I thought weapons were kosher in the Army! Whatev- I guess I'll take back the nun chucks I got him.

Keddington Chronicles said...

I'm sorry! For the record, every single time someone calls me from the school when the kids are there, my heart always initially sinks AND I ALWAYS cry afterwards. I think it's that initial "Why is someone calling me from there?" and then afterwards, you let all of that emotion go by crying. Poor little boy. It's hard that we live in a world where everyone's punished for all of the things some kids are doing that aren't so innocent anymore. Spencer (still Brigham to me) is a wonderful, great kid. Tell him we said so! :)
-Angela-