Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Number 65


Okay so maybe it's more like six or seven but the number of times Audrey has been to the ER or urgent care is climbing rapidly. Last night we added another tick to the ER side of the stats. She woke up at about 1 this morning and was having a coughing attack. This isn't all that unusual (in fact, as I write this, she's having a pretty awful one) but her further symptoms alarmed me. I went in to give her a drink of water to help her throat as this is usually what she requests in such situations. When I tried to give it to her, she seemed delirious and wouldn't make eye contact with me. She'd pause as if to take a drink and then would either swing her head around or just fall back onto her pillow. As I was trying to figure out what was up, I placed my hand on her chest and was taken back by how rapidly her heart was beating. I placed my head on her chest and tried to count her beats per minute but honestly couldn't get an accurate count. After consulting with Jaime and looking online to learn a little more about children's heart rates, I decided we ought to take her in.
I admit I'm a bit of a fretter when it comes to my princess Audrey. Interestingly enough, when it comes to the boys I tend to be a little less compassionate for some reason. Anyway, I'm still glad I took her even though it turned out to be less of an emergency situation than I originally thought. As it turns out, it seems (the Doc didn't sound positive) she has RSV again but her oxygen levels aren't as low as last time (when she spent several days in Utah Valley RMC). The hospital staff administered a breathing treatment including some medication to help open up her airway and also x-rayed her chest which is where the diagnosis came from.
So, chalk up another adventure for Audrey. She's a little angel and was very cute through it all. She kept telling me about the differences between the doctor and nurse and asked me all sorts of questions I couldn't answer about the equipment in the room. We got home around 530 this morning. It was a good time. - SBT

2 comments:

Keddington Chronicles said...

Poor Audrey!!! She always gets that yucky chest and cough bug, doesn't she? I hope she's feeling better. She's one of the few people I know that look darling with oxygen tubing coming out of their nose. Hope everything else is good! -Angela-

ashycam said...

I hope she is getting better. That cannot be fun.