So, I've obviously been a slacker the past couple days. In my defense, it has been a little crazy, though. You see, I'm a little bit, or a lotta bit, of a dork.
Spencer had Friday off, so we spent most of the morning running around Provo getting things for his Klondike camp out and the finishings of our dining room. I dropped him off at home around 11:30 so he could get his math final finished up and I headed to Orem to drop some food off for my sister's work party and pick Audrey's glasses up. After we picked the glasses up, Audrey and Isaac were begging to get some food from my sister, so I obliged. While they were in getting grub, I waited in the parking lot in a spot reserved for someone else, but was assured by my sister that it would be fine since it was Friday and they weren't supposed to be working that day. As I waited, a car pulled out across the parking lot and since I was paranoid, I went to park in the spot they pulled out of. Just as I turned the car off, my sister came out with the kids. I was very careful not to hit the car next me, got to where I could see the kids clearly, and began waving excitedly toward them. The next thing I knew, I had slammed into a cement barrier. So, I backed up and my entire bumper fell off. That's right, the whole thing. To top it all off, many of my sister's co-workers came out to check it out. Not my brightest shining moment.
Now, I've gone over this moment several times in my head. How are you in such a place that you don't see a cement barrier.? Looking back, I still have no answer. A few funny kid moments have come from it, though. Audrey and Isaac saw the whole thing, so as I was telling another sister about it, Audrey became very animated as she reinacted the accident. There's no way I could adequately retell as she did, so just use your imagination.
On the way home, Audrey said 3 or 4 times, "Mom, I'm so sorry that happened." To which I replied, "Oh, Audrey, it's okay. It's not your fault." And she said, "Oh, I know. But, I'm still sorry you did that." The next words out of her mouth were, "Mom, I bet the people in their cars are embarrassed by our car." Yes, Audrey, I'm sure they were. I know I was. And when I picked Spencer, Jr. up from school, he looked at the car and said with a laugh, "Wow, mom! That's a bad one." Yes son, it is. It guess they know more now than ever just how human their mom is.
I missed church again today since Isaac and Michael are both sick, but hopefully all the kids will be well by next week, so I can become active again. Spencer did say it was pretty quiet since he and Jr. were the only two there. I'm glad one of us had some peace. :)
2 comments:
Good story. When I was 8+ months pregnant with Reagan I hit a cement pole in a parking lot. Then, a week later I hit a parked car in another parking lot. In my defense, my belly was so big, and it was hard to manuever the car. With this kid, Nick said I have to drive our tiny Toyota Echo, so that I have less of a chance of hitting something.
You're welcome to borrow the Echo for a few months, until I need it :)
Thanks Brooke. I'll let you know.
Post a Comment